Anna Ticho

This artist became famous for her drawings of the Jerusalem hills.

Print this page Print this page

Every line she drew conveyed Anna Ticho's love of Jerusalem. She felt an obligation toward the city she had grown up with, arriving as a young woman and ending her days there at the age of eighty-six. The Jerusalem she had come to was a sleepy backwater of the Ottoman Empire that became a cosmopolitan headquarters of the British mandatory government and finally the capital of the reborn State of Israel in 1948, growing dramatically with an impetus that has hardly subsided to this day.

From her first small, hesitant sketches to her forceful renditions in her own special earthy coloration, Anna Ticho's art, like Jerusalem itself, hovers between symbol and reality.

Her works were first shown at the historic exhibition of local artists at David's Tower in the Old City of Jerusalem in 1922 and later in many solo exhibitions in Israel and abroad where they have been widely acclaimed. She was a co-founder of the New Bezalel School, today the Bezalel Academy of Art, Jerusalem and the recipient of many honorary titles and awards, among them the Art Prize of the City of Jerusalem, 1965; designated an Honorary Citizen of Jerusalem in 1970; the Sandberg Prize of the Israel Museum, Jerusalem; and, shortly before her death in 1980, the Israel Prize. She bequeathed her beloved home, Ticho House, to the Israel Museum to be used as a museum and site for exhibitions and cultural events for the benefit of the citizens of Jerusalem.

Did you like this article?  MyJewishLearning is a not-for-profit organization.

Please consider making a donation today.

Irit Salmon, currently the curator of the Israel Museum's Ticho House in Jerusalem, was until 1996 a curator at the Yad Vashem Art Museum. Born in Tel Aviv in 1939, she has a B.A. in History of Art, Hebrew Literature and Education (1965) and an M.A. in History of Art, both from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. She has headed the archives of the Department of Jewish Art at the Israel Museum.